Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Life as we know it...In Maintenence! :)

Hi All,

I hope you all had a great week. This weekend was so fun! Brodie turned ONE! Yes, I cried like a baby when I put him to bed last night. My boy is getting so big. He enjoyed his day to the fullest, and so did I! (Yes, that is a cupcake from Take the Cake Cupcakes, and they are fabulous!)

Yesterday since it was so cold Brodie and I stayed put all day. During his nap I got everything ready to make a Crock pot Minestrone. It cooks for about 5-6 hours and it was ready to go when Chad got home and was DELICIOUS! AND the best part is we had so many left overs that I froze it and put it away for another day.

Crock pot Minestrone

Ingredients:

  • 2 Cups Frozen Peas (Defrosted)
  • 3 Small Yellow Summer Squash
  • 1 Cup Snapped Green Beans
  • 2 Medium Zucchini
  • 5 Medium Celery Stalks
  • 1 Red Bell Pepper
  • 1 Cup Baby Carrots or 2 Large Carrots
  • 1 Large White Onion
  • 1 Tbsp Extra Light Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1/2 Tbsp Black Pepper
  • 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
  • 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
  • 1/8 Cup Fresh Oregano
  • 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
  • 1 Tsp Parsley
  • 2 Cans Diced Tomatoes (Basil, Garlic, Oregano)
  • 2 Boxes Low Sodium Chicken Broth
  • 2 Tbsp Splenda Brown Sugar

  • Directions:

    -Rinse green beans.
    -Cut the ends off and dispose.
    -Chop the green beans into thirds.
    -Peel and dice onion.
    -Rinse celery.
    -Cut off ends and dice.
    -Rinse Carrots and dice.
    -Dice summer squash.
    -Rinse bell pepper.
    -Remove the bell pepper’s seeds and dice.
    -Cut each zucchini into fourths.
    -Dice.
    -Add all ingredients to a large bowl and set aside.
    -Open all cans
    -Add: vegetables and tomatoes to crock pot.
    -Combine well.
    -Mix in : chopped oregano, parsley, salt, pepper, garlic powder, olive oil, splenda brown sugar, minced garlic, broth and combine well.
    -Turn crock pot on high, and cover.
    -Cook 5-6 hours.
    -When ready to serve turn crock pot to low.

    This week I prepared Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini Boats so Chad can throw them in the oven on Wednesday when I work late and then that will allow us to have left overs as well.  also cut up lots of veggies and fruit to have available. I have really been on a kick of eating Pomegranate Seeds. Have you tried them? They are delicious and something different!

    Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini Boats
     

    Ingredients:

    For the enchilada sauce:
    • Coconut Oil
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1 or 2 tbsp chipotle chile in adobo sauce, more if you like it spicy
    • 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce
    • 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
    • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
    • 2/3 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
    • Sea salt and fresh pepper to taste

    For the zucchini boats:
    • 4 medium zucchini
    • 1 tsp coconut oil
    • 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
    • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
    • 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
    • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    • 1 shredded Rotisserie Chicken
    • 1 tsp cumin
    • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
    • 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
    • 3 tbsp water or fat free chicken broth
    • 1 tbsp no sugar added tomato paste
    • Sea salt and pepper to taste

    For the Topping:
    • 3/4 cup veggie cheddar cheese 
    • chopped scallions and cilantro for garnish
    Directions:
    For the enchilada sauce: In a medium saucepan, add coconut oil and heat and saute garlic. Add chipotle chiles, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.


    For the Zucchini Boats: Bring a large pot of water to boil.

    Preheatoven to 400°. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and using a small spoon, scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4" thick. Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside.

    Drop the zucchini halves in boiling water and cook 1 minute; remove from water.
     
    In a large saute pan, heat coconut oil and add onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook on medium-low heat for about 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add chopped zucchini and cilantro; season with salt and pepper and cook about 4 minutes. Add the cumin, oregano, chili powder, water, and tomato paste and cook a few more minutes, then add in chicken; mix and cook 3 more minutes.

    Place 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of a large (or 2 small) baking dish, and place zucchini halves cut side up. Using a spoon, fill each hollowed zucchini with 1/3 cup chicken mixture, pressing firmly.

    Top each with 2 tablespoons of enchilada sauce, and 1 1/2 tablespoons each of shredded veggie cheese.

    Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through.

    Top with scallions and cilantro for garnish and serve with low fat sour cream or Greek yogurt if desired. (Chobani is my favorite.)

    Today for lunch I had left over Chicken with Walden Farms Barbecue Sauce and then my favorite....
    a cantaloupe cut in half with Plain Greek Yogurt and Raspberries! This is a TREAT to me! I highly recommend it! :) Doesn't it look so pretty??? and no mess!

     
    Today as I was at the grocery store so I could get the things I need to make IP Spaghetti for tomorrow(so that you all can come to Innovative and try it) and I picked up my first EVER rice cakes! I have never tried them, but am curious. I plan to put PB2 on them with a few Dark Chocolate Chips for my dessert tonight. I am craving it now that I write it down! I will let you know this week how the rice cakes were. :)
     
    I certainly wouldn't be able to obtain a healthy lifestyle without my other half being on board and willing to try all of these concoctions that I am so curious to try. So thank you Mr. Chad Gloede for being so brave and supporting my passion!
     
    
     
     
    Have a great day!
    XO,
    Linds
    


     

    1 comment:

    1. What an adorable picture of Brodie! Of course, you look beautiful as always. :)

      ReplyDelete